UN Office of the Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide and the International Criminal Court Prosecutor: Investigate the Possibility that Israel is Committing the Crime of Genocide Against the Palestinian People
When revelations of the latest instance of Zionist brutality previously came to dominate the media—such as the exposure of the Israeli Occupation Forces’ involvement in the genocidal Sabra and Shatila camp massacres in Lebanon of 1982, or the grotesquely asymmetrical death toll of assaults upon Palestinians in the Gaza strip such as in the summer of 2014—predictions that we had finally reached the point where the political mainstream must finally set firm limits upon Israeli military and colonial aggression usually proved unfounded.
Fatima,who lost several members of her family during the three-day killing spree, said that the “culture of impunity” that allows Israel to carry out atrocities without recourse must come to an end. She said it was because of this that the genocide of the Palestinian people has continued since around one million people were forced from their homes in the 1948 Nakba, when the state of Israel was created. … Despite the UN General Assembly stating in December 1982 that the events were a genocide — under opposition from the US, Britain, Canada and others — nobody has been held accountable for the killings.
The late Robert Fisk, one of the first journalists to enter the camp after the killings, reported: “After three days of rape, fighting and brutal executions, militias finally leave the camps with 1,700 dead.” Others, including the Lebanese Red Cross, numbered the dead at 3,500.
The exact total may never be known as Israeli-supplied bulldozers moved swiftly into the camp, dumping decaying corpses into mass graves that were later hit by bombs.
What isn’t in doubt is that what happened in Shatila and the neighbouring Sabra district over the three days was a genocide — the United Nations general assembly confirmed it as such in December 1982.
No Israeli and not a single Lebanese militia leader was tried or convicted for the genocide at Sabra and Shatila and the US escaped accountability for abandoning the Palestinians.
The Sabra and Shatila massacre was a clear case of genocide by any standard of international law, yet the responsible parties escaped prosecution and conviction. Indeed, transcripts of discussions between senior Israeli officials and the Lebanese Forces militia starting in January 1982 reveal the genocidal intent.
The transcripts, published in 2018, include talk of “cleaning out of the [Palestinian] refugee camps” and the need for “several Deir Yassins” – a reference to the notorious April 1948 massacre of Palestinians in a village near Jerusalem during the Nakba. They also contain explicit references to the decimation and expulsion of the Palestinian refugee population from Lebanon so that “Sabra would become a zoo and Shatila Beirut’s parking place.”
While US officials and mainstream media avoid the topic, the pattern of genocide and injustice against Palestinians continues.
Shortly after Israel invaded Lebanon in 1982, right-wing Lebanese groups allied with the invaders stormed the camp, killing its inhabitants, raping mothers in front of their families and mutilating pregnant women. When the incident – which went on for over three days, from Sept. 15 to 18 – was over, some 3,000 Palestinians and Lebanese, mostly Shia, had been murdered. The night before the massacre, Israel’s then-Defense Minister Ariel Sharon had ordered that the camp be surrounded in advance, effectively paving the way for one of the bloodiest massacres in modern history.After the massacre, on Dec. 16, 1982, the United Nations condemned what happened and declared it an act of genocide. However, there are still no judgments and penalties regarding the massacre.
We call the world not to forget the Sabra and Shatila massacre on the 16th September 1982. Today is the 38th year of the most horrific genocide by Christian Phalangist militia with the complicit of Israel troops. We demand, on the commemoration of this day, that its time to end the Israeli culture of impunity that permitted the Sabra and Shatila massacre to happen.
Israel’s invasion in the summer of 1982 entailed the Siege of Beirut. More than 17,000 civilians were killed and more than 30,000 wounded in ferocious attacks. Israel was also complicit in the Sabra and Shatila genocide. … In her poem “Apologies to All the People in Lebanon,” June Jordan deconstructs the dominant U.S.-Israeli narrative in Lebanon. In dedicating the piece “to the 600,000 Palestinian men, women, and children who lived in Lebanon from 1948-1983,” Jordan implies the continuity of genocide.
Thirty-seven years ago this week, one of the bloodiest chapters in Palestinian history unfolded in a refugee camp in Lebanon. Surrounded by Israeli forces from all sides, thousands of refugees, bereft of leadership and protection from the international community, were slaughtered during a two day killing spree in the Shatila refugee camp and the adjacent Sabra neighbourhood of Beirut by the Christian Phalangist militia, Israel’s paramilitary ally in Lebanon… Shock and outrage followed. The UN Security Council passed Resolution 521 unanimously, condemning the massacre. On 16 December 1982, the UN General Assembly declared the massacre to be an “act of genocide”.