- A UN expert warned Sunday that countries defunding the UN agency for Palestinian refugees were breaching a court order to provide effective aid in Gaza and could be violating the international genocide convention.
- A number of donor countries – including Australia, Britain, Finland, Germany and Italy – on Saturday followed the lead of the United States in suspending additional funding to UNRWA.
- That came after Israel alleged that several of the UN agency’s staff members were involved in Hamas’s 7 October attack. The Israeli allegations were based on confessions obtained in interrogations and have not been independently investigated. Israel has killed more than 150 UNRWA staff in Gaza since the start of its latest offensive on Gaza.
- Francesca Albanese, the UN special rapporteur for the occupied Palestinian territories, warned that the decision to pause funding to UNRWA “overtly defies” the order by the International Court of Justice to allow effective humanitarian assistance” to reach Gazans.
- “This will entail legal responsibilities – or the demise of the (international) legal system,” she wrote on X, formerly Twitter.
Please TAKE ACTION RIGHT NOW and send your letter to the UN Office of the Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide and the International Criminal Court Prosecutor.
Shaked had been invited as part of a regular event, the “Distinguished Lecture Series.”
The university added: “Following their lectures, we invite our guest lecturers to enter into a dialogue with the expert audience and hold a controversial, open discussion within the framework of the academic discourse. These discussions do not represent an identification with our guests’ theses but rather serve as a forum for discussion.”
The university effectively normalizes the view disseminated by Shaked that the slaughter of mothers for the purpose of preventing births in a specific population group – an act that fits precisely within the international legal definition of genocide – is an appropriate topic for “academic discussion.”
Acceptance of such terms for “dialogue” normalizes the genocidal thesis Shaked endorsed.